Current employer:Accunet Solutions (http://accunetsolutions.com)
How did you get into IT?
Always been interested in computers and programing, but oddly enough, it was a summer job as a 3rd-shift janitor in 1986 that led to my first job as a UNIX systems adminstrator in 1987 (a long -- but true story that I should get around to telling some day).
How did you get into working with VMware and becoming a 2012 vExpert?
I'd done some hands-on with VMware starting around 2004. Virtualization seemed like futuristic sci-fi magic.
In 2008 I joined EMC's VMware Affinity Team, and in 2010 I became the manager of the "Everything VMware at EMC" online community, and the rest, as they say, is history.
What would you tell someone who wanted to get a job like yours to do?
* Be curious - read everything you can get your hands on.
* Find people who are good at what they do and learn from them.
* Use your communities (online and otherwise) as a source of help and knowledge.
* Don't be afraid to try new things or make mistakes.
* Don't wait for a perfect path - start moving forward now; you can always correct your course along the way.
This article was syndicated via RSS from: http://blogs.vmware.com/vmtn/2012/05/vexpert-spotlight-dave-henry.html